Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Margins III

There are a few musicals that have caught my attention. But, my single all-time favorite musical is Meredith Willson's The Music Man. I remember seeing it on stage in the early Sixties with my mother and uncle in the campus theater at Southern Illinois University. In the years before video tape machines, I'd set my alarm and wake up in the middle of the night to see old reruns with Robert Preston as Harold Hill and Shirley Jones as Marian Paroo, the Librarian. Even now, it's playing here beside me as I write. For me, the Fourth of July holiday is not complete without "Ya Got Trouble", "Wells Fargo Wagon", "Till There Was You" and "Seventy-Six Trombones."

In my journal, in the margins, is a quote from the musical:

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."
                  ~ Professor Harold Hill

Have a safe and Happy July 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment