Sunday, June 16, 2013

Passersby - Part I


Henry David Thoreau wrote in Walden, “Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other’s eyes for an instant?”
"A Couple in Green Park, London"
photo ©2013 Gerrie Grimsley

My wife introduced me to something quite profound this week. It was a video that concluded by asking:  

“If you could stand in someone else’s shoes
Hear what they hear
See what they see
Feel what they feel
Would you treat them differently?”

It was profound and it was disturbing. 

Suddenly I was aware of how little attention I pay to what is happening around me. I make my way through my days concerned with beginning and ending well. And somewhere in between perhaps I have done something worthy of the life that God gave me for that day. Sadly, this is not always the case. Not even close. 

I am wrapped up in my life and in the lives of my family and close friends. I live in my world and have my hopes and dreams. The stranger in front of me or the person on the corner trying to sell a paper; they live different lives. They are not part of mine. So I pass them by without a thought. 

This isn’t right.

What is going on in their lives? What are their joys? What are their sorrows? What hopes do they have? What dreams? Where do they want to be or what do they want to be doing five, ten, or fifteen years from now? Why are they smiling? What caused their eyes to be downcast? Do they love? Are they loved? Is there someone out there searching for them? Are they remembered or have they been forgotten? Is there life comfortable or do they struggle? What will they do today? Will they even be here tomorrow? 

So many questions and in each one lives a story of mankind.

“So if you’re walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don’t just pass ‘em by and stare
As if you didn’t care, say, ‘Hello in there, hello.’”
~ John Prine

1 comment:

  1. We can certainly all learn from these words, Greg. Great insights that will hopefully lead to even greater actions for all who read this!

    ReplyDelete