Sunday, January 8, 2012

Why?



Then


Since September 30, 2007 I have been blogging. It started as a suggestion from my wife Gerrie as a way in which I could share me love of all things Disney  and my particular fondness for Walt Disney World. I have enjoyed working on The Disney Obsession and will continue from time to time to add things there. I suppose that no matter how old I become, I will always remain a child at heart and The Disney Obsession provides me a place where I can share my photographs and my occasional thoughts about the parks and other Disney-related topics. And too, through that blog I have met some incredible people; both locally and away. Their friendships will continue to enrich my life.

My life has been an adventure and it continues to be so. During the past four months though I have experienced a good deal of change in my life. It is not so much physical change (though I am resolved that some change in area is welcome), but more a psychological change. Last Sunday I wrote about the film, The Way, and the impact it had on my outlook in life. It is an outlook that now looks more at how to enjoy the moment-by-moment journey of my life and spend less effort concerned about some destination. Add to this, I experienced something of an artistic reawakening this past September. Where I would draw or sketch from time to time, I now wish to dig deeper into how I can express myself with my pen and pencils, my watercolors, my photography, and perhaps maybe, my words.

Now

Here I set, staring at this new avenue of expression; this new blog. Though I have pondered this for a few months now, it isn't fully realized in my mind. I am not sure if I have clearly defined my audience or what the contents will become for this space. At one point I considered this becoming a written "oral history" for my children and grandchildren, but I struggle with what to share and what not to share. Some things may be more personal than what should be included here, and for those things I need another forum. But, I should start somewhere.

But here, I do wish to share my experience in life; my journey. I want to share the memories of where I have been, where I am and where I hope to go. I want to open a lens to some of the things that I see as I go through my days, be it a drawing, a photograph, something I have read or that I have written, a quote, or whatever may find its way through my thoughts to this page.

Why?

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who are alive."
~ Howard Thurman

I read that on another blog a few days ago and I felt it summed up things rather nicely. Instead of just going through the day-to-day mechanisms of life, we should find that thing that causes us to come alive. That is what I am attempting to do; rediscover and celebrate those things cause this in me. And here, well, here is where I tell that story.

Greg

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you have created this blog. What fun you will have with it, and at the same time you will be inspiring everyone who comes this way. Love you!

    ReplyDelete