Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Evolution of Art, Part I

"Bit by bit, putting it together
Piece by piece, only way to make a work of art
Every moment makes a contribution
Every little detail plays a part
Having just a vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution
Putting it together (that's what counts)"
~ Stephen Sondheim
from Sunday in the Park with George

Do you have those things in life when you know something started, but you can not quite remember when it started? Art, in my life, is one of those things. I can't recall a time when drawing or doodling did not interest me. For years I would doodle in the margins of notes from meetings, classes or sermons. There would be times when I would take the subject more seriously and I would be inspired to produce a number of things. But, those times would be followed by long droughts of artistic inactivity. Yet, during those times an idea was usually always circulating in my mind.

Sparked by an event that occurred a few months ago, I have experienced a re-awakening in my life as it pertains to art. Little by little my attention is being drawn back to art; to exploring my creative side in earnest. I have yet to fall into a pattern of drawing daily or even weekly, but it is a goal I have set for myself. I have dug my pens and pencils out of the dust and put together a kit that I can carry with me, in hopes that having a bit of time, I can sketch. I did some of this while in rehearsals for my church Christmas play, and I have started to inject doodles into my journal writing. Anything to move the artistic dial; even just a little.

So, why, The Evolution of Art, Part I?

As in most things, I believe that we all wish to become better at what we do. When I played guitar I watched others and worked to learn more cords in an effort to be a better guitarist. As an actor I tried to be better with each performance of each production; working to suspend reality a few hours at a time. As a writer I want to construct a better sentence within a better paragraph and then tie them together into something I hope is worth reading. This is no different with art. I want my next sketch to be more interesting than the last. I want to improve my limited understanding of light and shadow and of perspective and relationship of objects to one another. I have so much to learn and feel that I am at the beginning of an interesting process.

While clearing the dust away from my supplies I happened upon a folder containing some of what I did early on. In the interest of sharing The Evolution in Art, my (hopeful) evolution, I share a few of these with you here. Perhaps we all will see a bit of growth as time goes by.

These are a few items from 1987.  We'll call this my Lines and Felt Tip Marker Phase. I also did a few program cover designs in pencil. During this time I was fascinated with the convergence and relationship of lines.
This is some work from 1988; a few color pencil drawings and a pen and ink. The color pencils are of no particular scene though they are of specific themes. The street scene speaks to my love of England while the scene with trees and water was done while I was rehearsing for a production of On Golden Pond. What I was interested in with these was the blending of colors.

As time goes on there will be other installments, no doubt; some later works and works yet to be started. 

This is a beginning. I have my art bag ready, and along with my camera, it will begin traveling with me daily. Having seen a sketch by someone began while waiting in his car at a railroad crossing, I feel I should be ready when an occasion to draw presents itself. I am taking advantage of a seldom used room upstairs to set up a table for drawing. Having things readily available defeats the tendency to not start because things are not at hand. 
The desire has been re-established and the tools have been assembled. What form it takes is yet to be seen. Pen and inks again? Very possible. Sketching? Yes. Watercolors? Well, I do have them, and pastels as well. Acrylics and oils? Scary.  Doodling? Practically every day!

The Evolution of Art has started here. It will be interesting. At least to me.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment