Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Dream Book

First a confession. I am borrowing some content for this entry from something that appeared in my other blog some few years back.
____________________
I have several books in my study. There are biographies, histories, books on art, various editions of the works of Shakespeare, and more than a few years of National Geographic Magazine. I also have a book that I call The Dream Book. 
The Dream Book is a black spiral bound scrapbook that I picked up at an arts and crafts shop. On the front cover I applied stickers spelling out the name of the book. It is unlike a regular scrapbook. It isn’t meant to chronicle a trip that has taken place (though there is some of that there). The intent of The Dream Book is to chronicle and plan for things we hope will happen. Things we wish to do. Some people may call it the “Bucket List”. For us, it is The Dream Book.
We have not made much progress in filling the book or in realizing all the dreams we have. Yet, though life may cause a detour or delay in the realization, it can not stop the dreaming. It can not keep us from still thinking of and planning for new courses in our journey. And, we do continue to think of new things while we enjoy the life we have right here.
In the book is a map of the Inside Passage from our cruise in Alaska. There also are postcards. These are from a dream fulfilled; my wife’s dream actually. She had for many years dreamed of going to Alaska and we worked to make it happen. And Alaska, well, Alaska is spectacular! Breathtaking!
From time to time I will open the book and make a note of something. Maybe it is a post-it note reminding me of the name of my favorite pub in London or a cafe in Paris. Perhaps it is something I have overheard, or has been recommended. Whatever it is, this a way to not forget to stop somewhere or see something during a future trip. 
There are several pages of maps detailing Historic Route 66 along with some photographs of some of the hotels we want to stay in and sites I wish to see along the way. I have pasted the Amtrak route map for the United States on one page and on the following page is information about the Southwest Chief. Elsewhere in the book is the schedule for the California Zephyr and the Empire Builder. We are making notes of National Parks we wish to visit along with a few grand hotels we would like to spend the night in. 
My wife has never been to Nantucket and I feel she would enjoy a picnic lunch there. Perhaps during the Daffodil Festival. 
I have never been to Vermont. I want to. In fact, I have counted 13 states that I have not visited here in America. I hope to visit them all.
We lived in Europe for a while; England to be specific. We want to go back. In the book are a few reminders of places we wish to revisit, places like London and Paris and where we lived in the Midlands. There are also places we never made it to but want to. Places like Venice, or perhaps a journey from Vienna to Berlin, or from Madrid to Barcelona. I want to visit Edinburgh and once again walk along Hadrian’s Wall. I would like to holy island of Iona and then take a tour of Eilean Donan Castle. I have dreamed of spending the night at Mont Saint Michel in the north of France.
I wrote a bit about this in an earlier post. In it I wrote, “I will still look and work towards these things (speaking of dreams). But, in doing so, I will not forego the privilege and the pleasure of this moment. I hope not to miss an occasion to experience the adventure of life now because I am focused on a later occasion that is not guaranteed.” This is still true. The things we dream of may never come to pass, but the dreams will keep coming and our list will keep growing. This, while we still live for today.
Greg

Post Script:  My wife and I will travel aboard the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles to Chicago later this year. In doing so, I'll be able to visit three of the thirteen states on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment