Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pen and Ink

I started this week thinking I would write something about writing. More specifically, write about the difficulty I sometimes have writing. I have sat here for a while looking at a few start and stops. A few lines of text. And it has occurred to me that I am having difficulty writing about the difficulties I have writing.
So maybe a change in direction would be nice. Let’s look at some art shall we?
In September of 1998, Gerrie and I had just returned from Uganda. After spending a few weeks in the Midlands we went down to London to spend a few more days with friends before flying home to Tennessee. We had been gone for over two years and felt it was time for a visit. One evening we were setting in a friends flat in Westminster and Gerrie said, “I wish you’d draw me something. You could make it a belated birthday present.” I thought this was a great idea.
Over the next day or so, between naps and walks in the parks, I came up with this.
This is the bell tower of St. Martin’s Parish Church in Liskeard.  The market town of Liskeard is located in Cornwall, about 20 miles west of Plymouth. I was there for a few days with a creative arts evangelism team. While it wasn’t my first visit to Cornwall, it was the first that gave me the opportunity to really appreciate the area, and, to discover that the Steak and Stilton is my favorite variety of Cornish pasty. 
On the flight to America I made myself as comfortable as anyone can on a trans-Atlantic flight and worked on a rendering of Warwick Castle. 
Following the Norman conquest of England, William the Conqueror constructed a motte and bailey style castle at Warwick. The year was 1068. The purpose of the castle was to secure and maintain his control of the Midlands and to support his northern advance. Through the years Warwick Castle has grown quite large. For this drawing I attempted to focus on that portion established by the Conqueror. 
Once we were back in Tennessee I came upon the idea of completing two additional drawings. Since I work from photographs and not life, finding the subject matter was fairly easy. I looked for two other architectural pieces that made an impression on me. The first was the gothic Westminster Abbey.
Whenever we’d visit London, more often than not, we’d stay with friends at their council flat in Westminster. It wasn’t far off the Victoria Road. When we were out for walks we could cross the road and be nearly to St. James’ Park. But if we turned to the right, a five-minute walk found us at Westminster Abbey. There were times when we’d visit inside, but usually we’d simply walk around the grounds. 
Tradition holds that the Abbey was founded during the time of Mellitus, Bishop of London, sometime prior to 624 A.D. The Abbey has gone through it’s own programs of construction and expansion with the two western towers being completed in 1745 giving Westminster the appearance that most of us are familiar with today. Since 1066, the coronations of the English and British monarchs have taken place in the Abbey.
The last piece in the set that was an easy choice. All I had to do was look towards the Church of the Holy Trinity at Stratford-upon-Avon. Started in 1210, Holy Trinity was Shakespeare’s church. This is the place of his baptism and burial. It is the oldest building in Stratford. On occasion we would come down to Stratford for a weekend and during our walks around the town we would usually end up at Holy Trinity. Just like at Westminster, we wouldn’t always go inside, but simply enjoy the serenity of the church grounds.
Gerrie asked for a simple belated birthday present. She got that. But we both got so much more. She had four pieces of art that she could be proud of. I was able to reinforce the thought that I do have an artistic side and can draw a bit if I set my mind to it. I started this year hoping I’d find time to jump back into that artistic side. Unfortunately, I haven’t got to that place yet. While thinking about drawing doesn’t put actual marks on the paper, it is something. It means I haven’t forgotten about it.
I suppose that can be considered a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. I can still see you intently drawing that wonderful picture of Warwick Castle. I love all of these drawings. Honey, you amaze me in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you going to start drawing again?

    ReplyDelete