Sunday, September 30, 2012

Books


Books are an important part of our household. I have more books than I will ever read. And now, in this season of simplifying and downsizing, separating ourselves from books is a difficult. It is something that I cannot bring myself to do and this will not change. Truth is, I’ll continue to add books as long as walk upon this earth.

Books have been a part of my family as long as I can remember. I remember family vacations spent on the beach with my mom and dad reading while my sister and I played on the beach and jumped the waves. I remember how books offered an escape that allowed me to get away from whatever it was I was going through at the moment. They were a portal; an open door. Through books I met people and traveled to faraway lands; real and unreal. In books I relived history and broadened my view of the world. In books, just like in art, I became human. 

There are shelves of books. There are stacks of books. In our living room is short stack;. There is a book of Paris photography that I draw inspiration from and a copy of the latest Kingdom Keepers book. There too is the copy of Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation that I am currently reading.

In my office are stacks of books about photography and art. While on the shelves live histories, biographies and books indicating my passion for the art of Disney.

On my nightstand are copies of two favorites, J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, and P.L. Travers Mary Poppins. I have copy of Fosters A Celebration of Discipline and a book on the National Parks. There too is my Bible - the most important book in our home. Along with my Bible is small notebook that I keep notes and prayers in. 

And in a odd way, perhaps, a nightstand reminds me of something I once read in Melvyn Bragg's, Richard Burton: A Life. Burton has long been one of my favorite actors;  a powerful screen presence hampered by inconsistent choices of film projects. But  regardless of the quality of the final product, the voice was always superb. It was, and perhaps still is, one of the great voices of the 20th century. Burton was also a ferocious reader. He once said, "Home is where the books are." When traveling, part of his luggage was one suitcase full of books. He was never without them.

Richard Burton died at his home in Celigny, Switzerland on August 5, 1984. He was 58 years old. Bragg writes, "When the guests had gone from that funeral at Celigny and Sally had her first few hours of quiet and her first intimation of the encroaching loneliness, she began to tidy up. On Richard's beside table, she came across his scribble pad. He used a red pen to write on it, often waking in the middle of the night to jot down a thought. These lines had been jotted down on that last night.

"The multitudinous seas incarnadine,
Making the green one red.

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow...

"Our revels now are ended...

"Cap a pi...

"The last line is unfinished.

"The blood vessels burst and flooded into the brain and there were no more words."

Books play an important part in my life. Maybe they do in yours as well. 

I am not able to read nearly as much as I’d like to. But I am hoping that this will change as time goes on. I am hoping that one day a large part of my evening will be spent with books. I will continue to work towards removing the clutter and sharpening the focus. And as this goes on, the books will still be there. They will urge me stop for a short while, take a seat and then open heart and mind to what awaits. Where will go? What will I do? It depends. On the printed page lies a universe of possibilities to be explored. 

2 comments:

  1. Through our years together your love for books has encouraged and challenged my reading choices and reading habits. Like you, I find it difficult to let go of the books in my personal library. In our trying to scale down the logical thing would be for us to go the e-book route, but there is nothing in the world that can take the place of holding a book in one's hand and turning its pages in eager anticipation. Good article! Well said, my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my reading is done on-line; e-mails, blogs and junk. But people fascinate me and I like reading biographies. Books in the closet, books in storage, books double-lining the book shelves, books in a bag by the side of the bed...these are the book stash of mine and my husband's.

    Keeping my mind busy keeps my thinking young.

    ReplyDelete