Sunday, December 2, 2012

Found Opportunities


We missed our granddaughters basketball game yesterday. A mix up on the time. We thought the game time was at 1:00 p.m. Turned out to be at 11:00 a.m. Turned out she played a really good game. We just weren’t there to see it. Oh well, there will be other games. 

Having the time wrong was a blessing though. It give Gerrie and I an afternoon to spend together. We had already planned to stop by a shop in the other side of the city. Had there been a game we probably would have visited the shop and then returned home. But missing the game gave us more time. We went to our planned store and then onto a few others. We stopped by a tea shop. We stopped by a coffee shop. We stopped by a book shop. We made an afternoon of it.

I love these afternoons with my wife. I love the drives we take. It could be a drive across town or a trip out of town, It may be an afternoon drive in the countryside. It really doesn’t matter. What matters is that we are together. It is time for us to slow down from the business of the week. We share our thoughts and hopes with each other. We bounce ideas off each other. We dream together. 

Whenever I get the chance I love to be with my children. It is easier with my daughter. She lives and works in the city. My son, on the other hand, lives locally but works wherever his work takes him. It could be in the Northwest. It could be in Europe or in Southeast Asia. He is well-travelled and he is a great provider for his family. 

But as I cherish time with my wife, I cherish times I spend with my kids. Recently, during a trip out of town for a family funeral, I was able to spend time with my son. We shared a few meals and had more than a few laughs. That is something we had throughout life; an ability to make each other laugh. With my daughter, we’ll take short trips together or maybe go to a concert. More often than not, I’ll simply stop by her restaurant after work and spend an hour or so visiting. They are both busy, successful people. I’ll take what time I can and cherish each moment.

Friday evening we had dinner with our closest friends. It all began with a photograph one friend sent and before you knew it, we had dinner plans. We sat in a local restaurant, had a good meal and more than a few good laughs. Then we went shopping. We really didn’t need anything, but it was an excuse to be together. It gave us more opportunity to talk and to laugh. While driving home I noticed that we spent over three hours with our friends and all we did was eat and visit one store. And that was fine. No, that was great!

It is in these found opportunities that my life becomes more meaningful. It is finding more time to spend with my wife, my family and my friends that bring me joy. 

As the year begins to wind down I begin to reflect on those things that will mean the most to me. Without a doubt I can look to the time I’ve spent being a husband, a father and a friend and know that these are the best of times. Then looking forward to the new year, the search will begin to discover those new opportunities to share our lives together.

More joy! More happiness! More memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment